As the hospital grew and buildings were added, the hospital needed a new entrance to the community. This coincided with the rapidly changing face of transportation in the United States in the 1930’s and 1940’s. While many people still rode trains and streetcars, and Milwaukee County had a world-class mass transit system, people were driving more. Due to that societal change, Milwaukee Sanitarium changed its entrance. No longer would patients walk or drive up from Harwood Avenue, they would now enter the hospital off of Dewey Avenue. This approach continues to function as the main access to the hospital today.
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
1930's to present
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.