The final building that may have been constructed during Sleyster’s time, but possibly in the 1950’s or 1960’s was a building referred to as The Hospital. This building was attached to the northwest corner of the old East Building and formed what was called the Kradwell Building in 1965. There appears to be three buildings in this structure on the 1965 map. One of these buildings, or all of them, may have been called Dewey Hall at one point too. The Hospital/ Kradwell Building had one nursing unit of 10 beds, two nursing units of 12 beds, and a maximum-security unit of 6 beds. This structure was torn down in the 1980’s to make room for the new hospital.
Jon Van Beckum- Archivist
middle 20th century
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.
Old Kradwell Building, The Hospital Building, Dewey Hall, Milwaukee Sanitarium, Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital