Aerial view of the English Cottage, Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital campus, 1970's(?). The English Cottage was constructed in the 1930's. By 1959, the building was used as a residence for female patients. In 1965, it was referred to as “The Admissions Unit”. Nearly all patients were admitted for evaluation there first prior to being sent to specific units on the hospital grounds. It also had an 11-bed nursing unit. In the 1990’s, it was referred to as the Village Center or the Schroeder Building. Outpatient addiction and recovery along with individual and family therapy were conducted there at that time. In the 21st century, the building was called the Schroeder House and contained the adolescent substance abuse program, the adult substance abuse programs and the intensive outpatient programs. In 2005-2006, Kradwell School held half their classes here while the Kradwell School building was being renovated and expanded. In 2016, the building, and the surrounding oak forest, was removed to make way to a two-story parking structure which provided close to 100 parking spaces for staff and clientele to park on campus.
Jon Van Beckum- Archivist
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.
Aerial view, English Cottage, Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital, 1970's(?)