Photograph of the Activities Residence Building in 1939. This building was built in the 1930's. It was also the Medical Director’s Residence. This house provided the hospital’s leading physician a place to live on campus. It was used by the hospital’s medical director until the 1960’s. In the 1960’s, the house was known as the EVR Building (educational, vocational, and recreation building). This building had programming for group activities, cooking classes, music lessons, woodworking and shop classes. In the 1990’s, it was known as the Herrington House II. It functioned as a ¾ way house and was used for residential programs for the treatment of addiction issues. In the 21st century, it was called the Alumni House and was used as a transitional living facility for those patients suffering from substance abuse issues. In 2017, the building was demolished so the new Dewey Center could be built. The services previously offered at the Alumni House were transferred to the new Culver Alumni House in 2016.
Jon Van Beckum- Archivist
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.
Activities Residence Building, Milwaukee Sanitarium, Alumni House, Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital