The Director’s House was constructed after 1919. This house was a replica of an English Manor that Dr. Sleyster saw on one of his vacations to England. The completed house had maids, a butler, a cook and a gardener for the proper English Garden that were located on the west end of the house. The east end of the house originally had a porch on it. It was converted to a garage at a later date. The last President of the hospital to live in the house was Mr. Gerald Schley in the 1990’s. After Mr. Schley left, the house was used for hospital storage. After some years of neglect, and being resigned to storage, attention was finally given to the old Directors House. In 2013, the building was remodeled and transformed into the Lighthouse on Dewey. The Lighthouse now provides a safe and welcoming place for those recovering from addiction issues through support groups and community activities. The mission of the Lighthouse will dovetail in with the services provided by the Culver Alumni House and the new Dewey Center.
Jon Van Beckum- Archivist
middle 20th century
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.
Director's House, Milwaukee Sanitarium