The Gymnasium building was constructed in the early 1900's. This building was used for physical activities, dancing, and later movies were shown in the building. There was a billiards room in the building and an arts and crafts room on the bottom floor. The Occupational Therapy Department used this building at one time too. In addition, the Zander apparatus was housed in the Gymnasium Building. This was a series of equipment and instruments for “vibratory” treatment, passive exercise, mechanical and abdominal massage, and contained a saddle for horseback riding exercise. Later on, the Zander equipment was moved to the North Building. The Gymnasium was knocked down in the 1980’s when the new hospital was built.
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.