Colonial Hall was built in the early 20th century. It housed a central dining facility, lounges, a patient’s library and a double deck sun porch for both summer and winter relaxation. By 1959, it was renamed Sleyster Hall in honor of Dr. Rock Sleyster. In 1965, the building was utilized in a slightly different manner. It was still used for patient lounge and dining area, but employees used the building for their cafeteria and lounge too. It also had a 27 bed nursing station and was used for storage. At the same time, an annex was added to the building. The annex had 12 private, patient rooms and housed the main kitchen. In the 1990’s it was renamed the Lorton Professional Building. Currently, the building is known as the Lorton Professional Building (Building 3). The building houses Psychiatrist/ Psychologist offices, Human Resources, the Aurora Behavioral Health Center and Medical Staff Services.
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
early to middle 20th century
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.
Colonial Hall, Milwaukee Sanitarium, Lorton Professional Building