The English Cottage was constructed during Sleyster’s time too. By 1959, the building was used as a residence for female patients. In 1965, it was referred to as “The Admissions Unit”. Nearly all patients were admitted for evaluation here first prior to being sent to specific units on the hospital grounds. It also had an 11 bed nursing unit. In the 1990’s, it was referred to as the Village Center or the Schroeder Building. Outpatient addiction and recovery along with individual and family therapy were conducted there. In the 21st century, the building was called the Schroeder House and contained the adolescent substance abuse program, the adult substance abuse programs and the intensive outpatient programs. In 2005-2006, Kradwell School held half their classes here while Kradwell School was being renovated and expanded. In 2016, the building, and the surrounding oak forest, was removed to make way to a two story parking structure which provided close to 100 much needed spaces for staff and cliental to park on campus.
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
early 20th century till 2016
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.
English Cottage, Milwaukee Sanitarium, Schroeder House