The One Patient Cottage at Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital, aka the "Avery Cottage" or the "Cape Cod Cottage", was built by the Milwaukee Psychiatric Hospital in the 1940's in order to provide discerning patients with privacy and psychiatric care. While the patient stayed in this cottage, a private duty nurse cared for them. This type of custodial care lasted for much of the 20th century with the last custodial care patient dying on campus in 1986 (unknown if it was in this building). The cottage in this picture was used by custodial care patients until the 1950’s or 1960’s. At that point, the house was used for vocational counseling. In the 1990’s, Marketing and Public Relations for the hospital used this building. Quality Management and Philanthropy use this structure for a while after that. In 2017, it is referred to as the Three Oaks House (Building 5) and is used for staff offices.
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
1940's to present
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.