Milwaukee Sanitarium initially consisted of a farmhouse and some outbuildings. This is a picture of the original farmhouse that has been remodeled to be Dr. McBride's home and placed where he housed the more disturbed patients that stayed at the sanitarium. This building was also known as the "East House". It may have been expanded on numerous times over the years, and may have formed part of three buildings that became known as the "Kradwell Building" in the middle of the 20th century. If that is the case, this building may have been still around in the 1980's when the Kradwell Building was demolished in order to build the main hospital building on the Aurora Psychiatric Hospital grounds.
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
1884 to 1980's
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.