This image is from a postcard that shows the original entrance gate to the Milwaukee Sanitarium. It was used from 1884 until the 1930's or 1940's. Patients would arrive via a train, or streetcar, that would drop patients off at this gate. They would be meet by staff and either walked up to the hospital, or transported by a horse and carriage. The pillar on the left (shown in the postcard) still survives as of 2017. This gate can be seen today (2017) on the north side of the hospital grounds, by the modern train tracks and Wauwatosa Public Parking Lot.
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
1884-1930's or 1940's
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.