Dr. Richard Dewey had this building constructed in the late 1890's. It was originally called the Bath House. It housed the hospital's hydrotherapy department and equipment. Hydrotherapy involved the usage of water, of varying amounts, pressure and temperatures, for pain relief and for treating illnesses. It was used to calm disturbed patients. The building was renamed the North House in the middle of the 20th century. The building was used as a classroom, medical laboratory, and housed the hospital's x-ray department. From the 1960's until 1982, Kradwell School used this building. The building was torn down in 1982 in order to make room for the new hospital (the current hospital).
Jon Van Beckum, Archivist
Aurora Psychiatric Hospital Archives
Please credit Aurora Health Care as the source of this material.
Bath House, North House, hydrotherapy, Kradwell School